Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why indie sucks, more like why FAKE indie sucks by Christian

Let's start with the basics:
Indie means independent, as in a band who has an independent label or has their own record company. These bands are known to be free rollers and unpopular.

Okay, we know what indie is Christian, but why does it suck?

1. Indie bands suck because most of them were old emo bands when emo was popular. Making them sort of trend following bands. We at Blogged at Birth don't like those bands.

2. People that listen to Death Cab For Cutie, Vampire Weekend(Don't hate me for saying them), Arcade Fire(I don't care what you think, this is the ultimate hipster band), and the Drums are hipsters. The mass of their crowds were in with screamo when it was popular, emo when it was cool, and deathcore when it was hot. They seems to move with the times, which isn't bad, it's just sort of unoriginal and trend follower status. Know what I'm saying.
WARNING: Not ALL people that listen to the bands above are hipsters, just a majority are. ALEXIS isn't a hipster, but her glasses kind of are.
3. Many of the bands listed above seem to make indie a dreary melodic sound. I like some dreary indie rock, but I like variety in a genre, I like seeing some originality. I don't mean to speak specifically against Death Cab For Cutie, but they are so repetitive. Their songs all use the same chords and seem to have the same mood in every song. If they changed that I would like them, but for now, I need them to prove they are actually worth my time listening to them.

In closing to this article, I'd like to state some GOOD Indie Rock:
Why?
Okay
Coconut Records
M. Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment